Monday, March 7, 2011

Learn to Simply Enjoy

As I lay myself down in bed tonight, a bird alighted in our courtyard and began singing.  It was an elaborate and beautiful song, one I can't describe so I won't try.  The song was so clear and beautiful that I decided to capture a recording of it to play back later.

Quietly I slipped out of bed and grabbed my laptop.  Taking it to the desk by the window, I opened it up and accessed the audio recording program - all the while, the haunting song continued.  I named the new project (bird song - nocturnal) and clicked the button to "Create" - still the bird sang.  Just before I hit the record button, he stopped singing.

After recording a few minutes of quiet night air, I came to this conclusion: the song is not for me to capture.  Truly the song isn't for me at all, but I'm privileged to be witness to it.  Admitting this truth, I went back to the desk, stopped the recording and walked away with the computer.  As I sat to write, you guessed it, the bird started singing again.

I just laughed.

No comments:

Post a Comment